Monday, March 14, 2011

Writing a novel or 2 or 9

   When I began writing the Thordon Series, I didn't intend to write an entire series of novels.  I didn't even intend to write a book.  I was bouncing ideas around for a role playing scenario.  I had promised to create a scenario for some of my sons and it all began with a ball being tossed.  That was when I came up with the idea of a magical spell that would envelope a castle and spirit away all of the kings of The Land East in an attempt to start a war.
   I went through everything it took to make the idea ready to play as a game. I created maps and set out lists and placements for what monsters or evils the heroes would have to face. What was supposed to be one campaign, grew to many.  And several of the young people in my little town played heroes and warriors in a new world called Thordon. It is funny, in the book when Rand Matrix finds a cursed scroll, it is written in the book just how my little brother David played it.  Each of the major battles in the series are written the way they were played out.  I never really delighted in gore, so it was hard for me to imagine it.  Each time the book reached a point where some battle was to take place, my kids would gather a group of their friends. I would hand them all character sheets and present them with the maps and situation and then watch and take notes.
    If any of you are gamers who enjoy roaming about an imaginary countryside in search of treasure or conquest, you will be pleased.  In the writing of the series, careful notes were kept about every magical item, spell and creature.  A compendium volume will follow the publishing of the series.  It will also contain maps of Thordon and of several places where action in the books led itself to gaming.  There are maps of the Cave of the Elderbrain from books 1 and 7  and the Prison of Souls from book 1.  There is Lex's Cathedral from 1 and the Temple of Life from book 8.  Diagrams and original sketches of  various weapons and the Keys of Thordon are in there as well.
    I realize that to some people, games like D&D or others like it are not something you do.  But there are a lot of people who do enjoy an ultimate getaway. To those folk, melting away the stress of the week is easy when you are saving a world or seeking the treasure of all treasures. I promise that when the Magic, Maps and Monsters of Thordon comes out, it will be a great addition to your gaming library.

No comments:

Post a Comment