Friday, April 8, 2011

Getting into the mind of characters.

    When I first began writing, some of the characters were created by some of my children.  But the ones that came from my imagination presented an interesting predicament.  My writing style is very conversational.  My characters talk to you when you read.  But to write so that they can do that requires that I know them inside and out.  Very often when people sit down with a good book, they never think about what the writers may have had to do to put pen to paper.
      Writing Cat's point of view was relatively easy.  She was a woman who respected herself, loved her family, and wanted the best for people she knew.  Been there, done that.  But writing about the villains is harder.  In the first few books, when I had to write about a battle scene, I would have my kids call all of their friends over.  We would give each one of them one of the characters in the book to portray.  I would tell them the situation and show them maps and let them play the situations as role playing games.  Then I took notes.
      But in some of the books, I had to write from the perspective of some really unpleasant people.  Having to step into Gadiumtan's mindset or look at the world as if you were Dalvar can be at the least very taxing.  When I am writing from those perspectives, I often find myself having to step away from the computer just to clear my thoughts.  I think sometimes out lives are like that.
      Do you ever catch yourself feeling overwhelmed by the stresses or anger that others have thrown at you?  I became a member of the CERT team and I learned that in disasters, many people who get involved become overwhelmed like that.  Sometimes, it is a victim that does not handle chaos well, but just as often, it can be the rescuers who break down.  When you are in a situation where someone (accidentally or on purpose) makes you feel like you need a spiritual bath, take a moment, step back, read a book, breathe deep, go for a walk.  Years ago, I received a casset titled Bounce Back.  It had one quote that I love and I believe is good advice for everyone.  "What you do is not as important as that you do something."  When you are at your breaking point, step away and do something and then, begin again.

1 comment: